Monday, November 8, 2010

Nothing big in the Bay?

I am visiting my hometown of San Leandro for a couple of days. It is nestled in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area. It is home of the Cherry Festival, Portuguese people, and lays next door to Oakland.

Before I came down here I researched to see if I might be able to find one of the world's largest to visit. Sadly, there are not many that are convenient for me to visit in my few days here. There is the world's largest garlic in Gilroy, but that's quite a trip south. I did find out that Oakland is home to the grave of the Black Dahlia, but that's kind of creepy, even if it is located in the next town over. It's also home to Fairyland, but that's a place I visited when I was five, so I don't know how much entertainment that can provide me when I'm almost 25. There are apparently scenes of taxidermied mice in San Francisco, but our plans to visit that fine city were spoiled yesterday by the weather and the fact that parades make it difficult to navigate the City.

I am also limited by lack of transportation. The vehicles I would use are currently occupied by my mom and brother who need them to get to work. If I did have one of those cars I might go up to wine country and actually pull over to take a picture of the Giant Grape Crusher sculpture I have seen as I drive. Or maybe head down to visit the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, which I have never visited in all my years growing up in the Bay Area.

I've also come to realize that most of the world's largest things in California are all in Southern California or the very top of Northern California. Well, shoot, Bay Area - let's work on getting some big stuff in town so people will want to come visit. I mean, it's not like Alcatraz is a major tourist attraction or anything (...).

I think I will do more research before I come back down here next month. I will also make sure it's on a weekend or on a day my brother has off so we can actually go venture someplace and visit something really big. It's a shame the world's largest rubber band ball got moved from San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment